Decade after decade, real estate has proven to be a solid investment. A rental property can generate cash flow in addition to building equity. Owning investment properties also may offer certain tax advantages.
Here are some issues to consider when you’re thinking about investing in real estate:
- Type: Do you want a duplex, triplex or quad that you can live in yourself while renting other units? Or do you want to buy a condo, townhouse or single-family home? Do you plan to rent the property out year-round, or use it as a vacation rental? If the latter, will you also use the property yourself?
- Location: You’ll pay a premium for a property in a more desirable neighborhood or a vacation hot spot, but you may command a higher rental price.
- Repairs: If the house needs work, consider whether you’ll earn your investment back. Updates to kitchens, bathrooms, HVAC systems and roofs can all be costly.
- Maintenance: Maintaining the property helps protect your investment. If you don’t live nearby, you’ll need to contract with someone to keep the house in good shape.
- Local landlord/tenant laws: You’ll need to do some research on local regulations, particularly on rent control or other laws that could affect your ability to cover your mortgage payment, property taxes and expenses.
- Tax implications*: You can deduct operating expenses that exceed the amount of rent you collect on an investment property, and you can depreciate an investment property. You can deduct losses on the sale of an investment property, but you must pay capital gains tax on profits. The implications may change if you live in the home.
* Consult your tax advisor
We can help you determine how much equity you have available and how much you can afford to invest in a property.
What Our Customers Say
I am writing to bring to your attention the superior service I have received from your employee Ian Clardy. Throughout my recent mortgage application process, Ian has not only provided consistently clear, professional communication, but he also has always gone above and beyond to patiently and expediently address any of my concerns that arose along the way. In the 20+ years I have owned properties, and having gone through the mortgage and refinancing process at various points in between, I can honestly say that Ian was hands down the most responsive and service-oriented mortgage consultant I have ever worked with. His efforts to accommodate Trident’s customers should be commended. It is largely the result of my interaction with Ian that I will from this point forward unreservedly recommend Trident to friends, family, and colleagues alike. Ian is indeed a rare commodity, in the best sense of that term, and I believe that he is a tremendous asset to your organization. If you would like to talk with me further about my experience working with Ian, please do not hesitate to contact me. Sincerely, Dr. Edward J. Carvalho
~ Dr. Edward J. Carvalho